S&S Worldwide Activity Guide for Autumn
Find games, arts and crafts, and therapy ideas to add to your senior activity calendars from our friends at S&S Worldwide.
Create fun activity ideas for your residents that relate to fun observances and holidays this season.
Football Activity Ideas
- Organize a Quarterback Challenge competition among the men in your backyard to see who can throw a foam football the farthest or through a hanging target.
- Host a Tailgate Party every Sunday afternoon featuring homemade pretzels and roasted peanuts as snacks during the big game.
- Set up a Jewelry Session and invite residents to make necklaces and bracelets using football beads.
- Schedule a Pep Rally on game day and invite residents to make flag pennants featuring the colors of your local NFL team.
Columbus Day and Indigenous Peoples' Day Activity Ideas
- Teach residents how to make Southwestern sand paintings during a fun Sand Paintings Class.
- Host a Canoe Decorating Contest among the men in your Activity Room to see who can decorate the best wooden canoe.
- Invite your resident for a one-on-one Native American Jewelry Lesson as you show her how to make authentic-looking beadwork using a Native American bead starter set.
- Encourage your facility's Macramé Club to gather during a Macramé & Tea Party to make macramé dream catchers using a kit.
Halloween Activity Ideas
- Pass out pumpkin punch balls to residents for them to exercise their arms during a fun Halloween Exercise Class.
- Host a Fall Festival on a Saturday morning and set up easy activities for the grandchildren and residents to do together.
- Invite the grandkids to decorate Halloween bags with residents for a Crafts: Halloween Bags activity.
- Encourage a resident to assist you with Halloween Decorating as you ask him to help you decorate your facility with Halloween balloons.
- Host a Sugar-Free Chocolate Taste Test using sugar-free candy.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October) Activity Ideas
- Use a pink bowling set to host a Breast Cancer Awareness Bowling Fundraiser and invite family members to pledge $1 for each strike that their loved one bowls, with a maximum donation of $5.
- Invite residents for a Bracelet-Making Party to make Breast Cancer Awareness bracelets using pink ribbon beads, and sell them to raise money for a local breast cancer charity.
- Pass out pink bracelets for residents to wear throughout the month to honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Veterans Day Activity Ideas
- Chit chat with residents about their favorite patriotic images during a fun My Favorite Things – Patriotic Edition activity using a patriotic DVD.
- Pass out USA fans to spectators during your annual Veterans Day Parade, in which your facility's veterans march through the hallways.
- Recruit residents to help you decorate your facility's Dining Room using patriotic bunting as you host a special Veterans Luncheon for your facility's veterans and their family members.
- Make remembrance poppies with residents during a Poppy Party to use as decoration throughout your facility.
Thanksgiving Activity Ideas
- Make fall leaves with residents as a Windy Day Craft using paint and water.
- Recruit residents to join a Decorating Club to help you decorate for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Assist residents with Making Table Centerpieces for your Thanksgiving festivities by assembling wooden turkeys for your facility's Dining Room tables.
- Host an Icebreaker Game to get your residents socializing as you play the Family-Gathering version of Table Topics.