S&S Worldwide Activity Guide for Winter
Find games, arts and crafts, and therapy ideas to add to your senior activity calendars from our friends at S&S Worldwide.
Create fun activity ideas for your residents that relate to fun observances and holidays this season.
Holiday Activity Ideas
- Host a Battle of the Sexes Trivia Challenge to see who knows more Christmas trivia: the men or the women.
- Plan a Christmas Stocking Party for residents to make their own Christmas stockings.
- Set up a Sewing Session and invite residents to sew tree ornaments.
- Invite residents to make Christmas tree note holders to give as Christmas gifts to loved ones during a Gift-Making Party.
- Organize a special New Year's Eve Dinner in your facility's Dining Room for residents to ring in the new year with a fun balloon drop. Decorate with festive balloons and pass out noisemakers.
- Pass out party bubbles for residents to blow bubbles during a fun New Year's Eve Bubble Party.
Winter-Themed Activity Ideas
- Pair residents with their grandkids during a Winter Art Project to make snow globes for the season.
- Host a Winter Art Contest to see which artistic resident can draw the best winter scene on their apartment windows using chalk markers.
- Schedule an intergenerational Winter Science Experiment activity with residents and their grandkids to make homemade snow.
- Set up a Hot Cocoa Bar for residents to enjoy on Friday afternoons.
- If you have former hunters in your facility, set up inflatable targets and pass out mini crossbows for residents to demonstrate their skills during a Winter Hunting Competition.
- Organize a Snowflake Decorating Party for residents to decorate snowflakes to hang in your Activity Room for the season.
Super Bowl Activity Ideas
- Decorate football helmets with residents before the big game during a Tailgate Party.
- Host a Super Bowl Party on Super Bowl Sunday (Sunday, February 4) for your residents to watch the game and eat popcorn in your Activity Room.
- Make Sports Sand Art, using sand kits, to decorate your Activity Room for the sporting event.
- Purchase a variety of salsa for a Salsa Taste Test, and encourage residents to vote for their favorite.
- Use football beads for residents to make football bracelets during your Super Bowl Beading Party. Encourage residents to wear their bracelets for the game.
Mardi Gras Activity Ideas
- Turn one of your facility's hallways into Bourbon Street for Mardi Gras (Tuesday, February 13) as you host a Bourbon Street Party. Play New Orleans-style blues music and hand out Mardi Gras beads and non-alcoholic drinks to passersby.
- Host a Silly String Party as residents and staff have fun spraying silly string on one another.
- Pass out sequined masks for residents to wear at a Mardi Gras Happy Hour.
- Assist residents with making handheld drums for a Drum Circle activity.
- Hand out Mardi Gras derbies to participants during a Mardi Gras Parade for residents and staff to show-off their Mardi Gras attire.
Valentine's Day Activity Ideas
- Recruit residents to join a Sewing Club to make stuffed bears to donate to a local children's hospital on Valentine's Day.
- Assist residents in a Mosaic Art Class by making stained glass hearts to give as gifts to family members.
- Set up a Kissing Booth and pass out Hershey's Kisses to passersby.
- Invite your facility's Beading Club to use heart beads to make jewelry to pass out to your facility's visitors as gifts on Valentine's Day.
- Schedule a Conversation Heart Candy Break in which you pass out conversation heart candies for residents to sample.
- Assemble a chocolate fondue fountain to host a Chocolate Tasting for residents. Provide participants with wooden skewers and tasty treats to dip into the melted chocolate, like fruit and marshmallows.
Chinese New Year Activity Ideas
- Celebrate the Chinese New Year (Friday, February 16) by teaching residents how to write Chinese characters during a Chinese New Year Break.
- Pass out red construction paper for residents to make paper lanterns for a Chinese Lantern Festival.
- Host a special "Year of the Dog" Happy Hour honoring those who were born in the Chinese zodiac year (1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017).
- Schedule a Chinese New Year Exercise Class with the grandkids so that residents can teach them how to use a Chinese yo-yo.
- Plan a Chinese Checkers Tournament and provide residents with Chinese checker boards to play against one another.
St. Patrick's Day Activity Ideas
- Recruit residents to assist you with decorating for the holiday by placing St. Patrick's Day balloons throughout the hallways and common areas of your facility. In addition, add weights to a few balloons to turn them into table centerpieces for your Dining Room tables as decoration for a special St. Paddy's Day Dinner of corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Hide gold coins throughout your facility for a fun St. Patrick's Day Treasure Hunt. Award a special prize to the resident who collects the most gold coins.
- Host a St. Patrick's Day Fashion Show for residents to show-off their green attire, and pass out shamrock necklaces for residents to wear during the fashion show.