S&S Worldwide Activity Guide for Winter
Find games, arts and crafts, and therapy ideas to add to your senior activity calendars from our friends at S&S Worldwide.
Create fun activity ideas for your residents that relate to fun observances and holidays this season.
Holiday Activity Ideas
- Host a Battle of the Sexes Trivia Challenge to see who knows more Christmas trivia: the men or the women.
- Plan a Christmas Stocking Party for residents to make their own Christmas stockings.
- Set up a Sewing Session and invite residents to sew tree ornaments.
- Invite residents to make Christmas tree note holders to give as Christmas gifts to loved ones during a Gift-Making Party.
- Organize a special New Year's Eve Dinner in your facility's Dining Room for residents to ring in the new year with a fun balloon drop. Decorate with festive balloons and pass out noisemakers.
- Pass out party bubbles for residents to blow bubbles during a fun New Year's Eve Bubble Party.
Winter-Themed Activity Ideas
- Pair residents with their grandkids during a Winter Art Project to make snow globes for the season.
- Host a Winter Art Contest to see which artistic resident can draw the best winter scene on their apartment windows using chalk markers.
- Schedule an intergenerational Winter Science Experiment activity with residents and their grandkids to make homemade snow.
- Set up a Hot Cocoa Bar for residents to enjoy on Friday afternoons.
- If you have former hunters in your facility, set up inflatable targets and pass out mini crossbows for residents to demonstrate their skills during a Winter Hunting Competition.
- Organize a Snowflake Decorating Party for residents to decorate snowflakes to hang in your Activity Room for the season.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Activity Ideas
- Celebrate the achievements of African-Americans with your residents with a Black History Story Circle where you share the histories of famous African-Americans.
- Host a Multicultural Story Hour for residents to read multicultural storybooks during a fun reading activity with their grandchildren.
- Organize a Jigsaw Puzzle Competition among residents to see who can finish their multicultural jigsaw puzzle first.
- Test the reading comprehension of your residents with a fun Reading Comprehension Test, in which residents read stories of African-American history before answering questions.
- Schedule an Inspirational Beading Party for residents to make bracelets using inspirational beads.
Super Bowl Activity Ideas
- Decorate football helmets with residents before the big game during a Tailgate Party.
- Host a Super Bowl Party on Super Bowl Sunday (Sunday, February 3) for your residents to watch the big game and eat popcorn in your Activity Room.
- Make Sports Sand Art, using sand kits, to decorate your Activity Room for the sporting event.
- Purchase a variety of salsa for a Salsa Taste Test, and encourage residents to vote for their favorite.
- Use football beads for residents to make football bracelets during your Super Bowl Beading Party. Encourage residents to wear their bracelets for the game.
Chinese New Year Activity Ideas
- Celebrate the Chinese New Year (Tuesday, February 5) by inviting residents to make Chinese New Year necklaces using Chinese character beads during a Chinese New Year Beading Party.
- Pass out red construction paper for residents to make paper lanterns for a Chinese Lantern Festival.
- Host a special "Year of the Pig" Happy Hour honoring those who were born in the Chinese zodiac year (1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019).
- Schedule a Chinese New Year Exercise Class with the grandkids so that residents can teach them how to use a Chinese yo-yo.
- Plan a Chinese Checkers Tournament and provide residents with Chinese checker boards to play against one another.
Valentine's Day Activity Ideas
- Recruit residents to join a Sewing Club to make stuffed bears to donate to a local children's hospital on Valentine's Day.
- Assist residents in a Mosaic Art Class by making stained glass hearts to give as gifts to family members.
- Set up a Kissing Booth and pass out Hershey's Kisses to passersby.
- Invite your facility's Beading Club to use heart beads to make jewelry to pass out to your facility's visitors as gifts on Valentine's Day.
- Schedule a Conversation Heart Candy Break in which you pass out conversation heart candies for residents to sample.
- Assemble a chocolate fondue fountain to host a Chocolate Tasting for residents. Provide participants with wooden skewers and tasty treats to dip into the melted chocolate, like fruit and marshmallows.
Presidents Day Activity Ideas
- Invite residents to participate in a fun Americana Trivia Contest on Presidents Day (February 18) using a Stars and Stripes trivia DVD.
- Schedule an Armchair Travel and show a video of important American landmarks like Mount Rushmore, the Statue of Liberty, and various presidential monuments throughout the country.
- Host a Presidents Day Word Search Contest featuring word search puzzles about American presidents and the First Ladies.
- Organize a Presidential Balloon Punch Ball Exercise for your residents, using patriotic balloons and ribbon to create the punch balls.
- Recruit your facility's Baking Club for a First Ladies' Recipes Bake-Off to bake popular desserts by American First Ladies like Laura Bush's cowboy cookies or Michelle Obama's apple cobbler.
Mardi Gras Activity Ideas
- Turn one of your facility's hallways into Bourbon Street for Mardi Gras (Tuesday, March 5) as you host a Bourbon Street Party. Play New Orleans-style blues music and hand out Mardi Gras beads and nonalcoholic drinks to passersby.
- Host a Silly String Party as residents and staff have fun spraying silly string on one another.
- Pass out sequined masks for residents to wear at a Mardi Gras Happy Hour.
- Assist residents with making handheld drums to play for a Drum Circle activity.
- Hand out Mardi Gras derbies to participants during a Mardi Gras Parade for residents and staff to show-off their Mardi Gras attire.
St. Patrick's Day Activity Ideas
- Recruit residents to assist you with decorating for the holiday by placing St. Patrick's Day balloons throughout the hallways and common areas of your facility. In addition, add weights to a few balloons to turn them into table centerpieces for your Dining Room tables as decoration for a special St. Paddy's Day Dinner of corned beef, cabbage, and Irish soda bread.
- Hide gold coins throughout your facility for a fun St. Patrick's Day Treasure Hunt. Award a special prize to the resident who collects the most gold coins.
- Host a St. Patrick's Day Fashion Show for residents to show-off their green attire, and pass out shamrock necklaces for residents to wear during the fashion show.