How to Keep Weekends Fun
(When You're Not There)
While it can be a challenge to keep your residents entertained on the weekend when things are slower and quieter, use some of the following tips to make your residents' weekends a bit more fun:
- Add activities that the residents enjoy. If your residents enjoy Bingo, consider adding a Saturday Bingo activity that offers a Double Bingo game, in which the winner receives double the prize.
- Recruit weekend volunteers for short periods of time. Your weekend volunteers may become consistent weekend volunteers if their commitment to volunteer is only for a short amount of time, e.g., calling Bingo every Saturday morning from 11 to noon or doing Trivia every Sunday from 3 to 4 in the afternoon. See our article How to Use Volunteers Effectively.
- Invite weekend entertainment. If your facility is near a college or university, invite a music student to stop by and perform for your residents. In addition, if you have a new entertainer who is willing to do a free concert for your residents before you book him on a regular basis, ask him to perform that free concert on the weekend.
- Add their favorite treats to the weekend. If your residents like to eat ice cream, set up a weekly Sunday ice cream sundae party in which residents pick their favorite flavors of ice cream and toppings.
- Keep your weekend calendar full. Weekends are the perfect time to add resident clubs to the calendar.
- Set out word and jigsaw puzzles for those residents who enjoy independent activities.
- Invite local "kid and mommy" groups on the weekends. Because residents love little kids, encourage your local Mommy & Me play groups to stop by and visit with the residents once per month.