How to Involve Family Members
in Your Activities
Residents may become more social if you are able to involve their family members in your activities. Here are a few suggestions:
- Host special events and invite family members.
- Pick several times during the year in which your facility can throw a fun, special event that is for both residents and their family members. Consider throwing an annual holiday party in December or an annual Family Reunion Cookout in June.
- Start a family member support group.
- Coordinate with your Director of Nursing to bring in a special speaker each month that can provide assistance to family members.
- Recruit family members to be volunteers.
- Invite family members (especially the kids who need community service hours for school) to assist with implementing various activities.
- Ask family members to teach a class or be a speaker.
- Tap into the specialties of family members by asking them to share their knowledge with your Educational Club or Speaker Series.
- Create intergenerational activities that involve the grandkids.
- Create fun events that include kids. For example, invite the grandkids over to help residents dye Easter eggs, plant flowers in the garden, or wrap gifts during the holidays.