How to Get Your Male Residents Involved in Nursing Home Activities
Having trouble getting your male residents involved in your nursing home or assisted living activities? Here are a few tips on how to increase the participation of your male residents:
- Start a Men's Club. Schedule a monthly activity that is just for your men, like a men's only pizza party or a fun "frat" party.
- Add More Contests. Add the word "contest" or "competition" to the titles of a few of your activities to pique the men's interest.
- Play More Sporting Games. Place more sporting games on your monthly calendar like bowling, putt putt, or shuffleboard.
- Focus on the Military. Coordinate military-themed activities for the men that involve reminiscing or storytelling.
- Discuss Finances. Tap into the interests of the men, as former heads of household, to discuss or debate interesting financial topics.
- Include Televised Sporting Events. Create activities around interesting televised sporting events like the Army-Navy football game or the MLB World Series.
- Provide More Musical Activities. Get the men up and moving to music by hosting more dances and live musical entertainment.
- Boost Tactile Activities. Appeal to the men's interest in working with their hands by planning more opportunities for the men to "fix" things.